Grilled Haddock and a Tomato Couscous Salad with an Avocado Cream Sauce

I really like seafood, but never bother with it at home. I guess I always feel like it will be time consuming for some reason, which is certainly not the case.  I was inspired to make this dish by a poached salmon recipe I saw in a recent issue of Bon Appetit.  I went to the store intending to buy salmon, but the guy at the counter encouraged me to try his favorite Haddock...and it was on sale.  If you are not as familiar with Haddock, its a really mild white fish, so it's not super fishy. It reminds me of tilapia but it is much meatier. I figured it would would go well with avocados...and it was on sale.

This recipe has 3 separate components, so I will list them out that way.  Although there are a few moving parts, it actually only took 15-20 minutes to make in total.  I could have probably even expedited that time by doing some of the parts simultaneously. Either way, its not a lot of time to make a light but filling meal.

Grilled Haddock 



Ingredients:
  • 2 Haddock Filets
  • 1 tsp. of Salt
  • 1 tsp of Pepper
  • 1/2 tbsp of Paprika
  • 1 tbsp of Olive Oil
  • 3-4 Lemon Slices 
Steps:

1. Mix the salt, pepper, olive oil, and paprika together in a bowl.  You are going to rub this mixture over the fish and try to coat it as evenly as you can.
2. Take the lemon slices and slightly squeeze them over the fish. I then placed the lemon slices across each filet.
3. Wrap the fish up. I stacked mine on top of each other and wrapped them in the parchment paper they came in. I put them back in the fridge for a few minutes while I worked on setting up other parts of the dish.
4. Turn on the grill. You may want to this much earlier if you are using a charcoal grill, but I was using my little Cuisinart counter top grill that I won at the grocery store in a contest. I put mine on medium high heat.
5. Once your grill is ready, add the fish to the grill. You can remove the lemons or grill them too on the side.  Fish cooks pretty fast, so it took mine about 4 minutes on each side. It might vary depending on  your cooking device. You should see a nice brown sear on the fish and the inside should be a solid white, instead of the milky opaque color of raw fish.



Avocado Cream Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 2 Avocados, peeled and diced
  • 2 Limes, cut in half for juicing
  • 1 Serrano Chile Pepper, chopped and seeded if you are concerned about heat
  • 1/4 cup of Cilantro Leaves, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup of Plain Greek Yogurt
Steps: 

1. Combine all ingredients into a food processor and blend until a creamy sauce.  Some Greek yogurts are thicker than others, so you may want to add a little warm water to get a saucier texture.  This makes a lot of the sauce, I'd say for like 4 people. You may want to cut the recipe in half depending on how much you think will be necessary.

Tomato and Couscous Salad


Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup of uncooked Couscous
  • 1 cup of Chicken Broth
  • 1 small to medium Tomato, diced
Steps:

1. Combine the couscous and chicken broth into a pot on the stove.  You can use water instead of the broth, I just think it is an easy way to add some flavor.
2. Bring mixture to a boil, cover and remove from the heat. Let it sit off the heat for 5 minutes, then stir.  The couscous should be cooked. I LOVE couscous because it is so flipping fast to make
3. Add diced tomatoes to the couscous and stir. If you feel like the couscous is really clumpy, you can add a little olive oil to the mixture.


Then it's time to eat it.  I made a little bed of couscous, laid the fish over it and layered the avocado sauce over it. (It actually looks more like I plopped it on, haha) This is a fairly light meal except for the sauce, so if you feel like being indulgent, add as much sauce as you'd like, if you are watching calories, watch how much of the sauce you use. Although this seems like a lot of steps, its actually a really quick and filling meal.  Not the most elegant picture below, but it should give you a good idea of the final product.



Comments