Pizza Hummus

I love a lot of food, but I really love hummus.  It's awesome for sandwiches, to snack on, or even just to eat plain.  I also love pizza, so I was really excited when I saw this recipe for Pizza Hummus in Food Network Magazine. It quickly became my boyfriends favorite with its bite of sweet basil and oregano. I actually used it to make mini pizzas once by layering it on toasted french bread with mozzarella and chopped ham.  I encourage you to give a whirl and break up your boring old hummus routine.

Ingredients:
  • 1 15 oz can of Chickpeas
  • 2-3 garlic cloves roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp Herbes de Provence
  • 4 leaves of Fresh Basil chopped
  • 1 Tb of oregano
  • 1/4 cup Tahini
  • 3 Tbs of Tomato Paste (I like the kinds that come in the toothpaste shaped bottle, they keep better)
  • 1 lemon for squeezing
  • 2 Tbs of Olive Oil (possibly more depending on the consistency you like)
Steps to Make:
1. Add the garlic, oregano, basil and Herbes de Provence to a pan. Toast on the stove over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. You should really be able to smell it, but you don't want to burn it.
2. Combine all the ingredients into a food processor (Don't add the actual lemon, just cut it in half and squeeze the juice into the food processor). I usually like to add the chickpeas gradually as I'm running the food processor so the hummus is really smooth.
3. Run the food processor until the hummus has the consistency you like.  You may want to add a little warm water for a silkier hummus.
Then you're done! It's a really fast easy snack to eat with, vegetables pita and chips.  If anyone decides to give this a try, I would love comments on how it turned out for you!

Comments

  1. I tried this hummus and it was delicious. I think it would have been better if I had toasted my herbs but I was in a hurry.I will do that next time. I also suggest adding the liquid from the chickpeas to make it thinner because some people like thicker hummus (my family included). Some cans of chick peas contain a lot of liquid so you have to be careful with the consistency.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment