Classic Chili

Classic Chili

Fall makes me think of one thing, football.   For me fall also means using a slow cooker every Sunday to have a meal ready after the game.  Living in El Paso, we generally have to watch our favorite football teams at a sports bar because they are non-local, and the games start early in the morning.  I've made it a tradition in throwing a meal together in the crock pot so that we come home from the watching the games it is ready to eat.  I thought it would be a fun challenge to come up with 17 different slow cooker meals for each Sunday.

For my first post of the football season, I chose to go with a classic chili.  Or at least what in my mind is classic.  Red beans, ground beef, and just a little heat.  I will be making different varieties over the the 17 weeks, but this is one of my favorites. I like it spicy, so I add jalapenos and red pepper flakes.  I personally do not seed the jalapenos because i want the extra spice. People wary of heat should definitely seed  the peppers before adding them.


Servings: 6-8                             Time: 8 hours               Calories:  325 per serving

Ingredients:
  • 2 15 oz cans Stewed Tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
  • 2 teaspoons Cumin
  • 1 8 oz can of Tomato Sauce
  • 1 medium Onion, chopped
  • 1 Garlic Clove, minced
  • 1 lb  Ground Beef
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
  • 1 14 oz can Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed.
  • 1 Green Pepper, diced
  • 2 Jalapenos, diced (optional)
Steps: 

1.) Turn crock pot on low. Add tomatoes, sauce, cumin, chili, powder and red pepper flakes.


2.) Saute onion and garlic in separate pan over medium heat. Once fragrant, add ground beef, salt and pepper until cook until meat is browned.


3.) Add kidney beans, green pepper, jalapenos and beef mixture to crock pot.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4.



Serve with toppings of sour cream, cheese, or even biscuits.






Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashlee, is the the same recipe you used for the Chili cook-off at Hope & Anchor a couple of years ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty similar, however I believe I roasted the jalapenos, and added roasted poblanos as well for the cook-off for some competitive edge. haha. That cook-off is always so fun regardless if you make a chili or not. I'm sad I couldn't go last year.

      But chili's fun because you can always mix it up. Now I like to add a canned adobo pepper or two in there, to create smokiness, without roasting the peppers. I'm getting lazy. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment