Eggplant and Chickpea Stew

Week #2 Eggplant and Chickpea Stew served with Creamy Polenta






Generally when I think of slow cooker meals, I think of chili's, meat stews, heavy dips.  For my second installment, I wanted to focus on a veggie alternative. Now I'm not a vegetarian, but I've flirted with it throughout my life.  Once I went vegan for a few months, but broke because of a desire for a Chicago Dog at the airport.  Yeah not even cheese, a hot dog. It probably wasn't meant to be.  But recently I've been trying to focus on eating 2 meatless meals and  1 seafood meal a week, to keep variety in my diet and ensure I'm getting plenty of vegetables.

I think what makes this recipe successful as a vegetarian meal are all the Umami elements to it. Umami is one of the five basic tastes, along with sweet, sour, etc.  It is the savory taste, but a lot of times that is satisfied in meals with meat.  However, certain vegetables can create that same taste.  Ironically, they are generally the "meatier" vegetables, like mushrooms and eggplant but broccoli and cauliflower are other examples as well. Some even say Umami assists with creating the satisfaction of being full.

Another reason I like this recipe, is that it is versatile.  It would be very easy to interchange the ingredients with what you have on hand.  Add cauliflower, turmeric and curry and you've redirected it into a Indian inspired dish.  Serve with polenta, couscous, or even pasta to complete the meal. I would encourage giving this a try to break up your chili and meat stew routine.


Servings: 8-10                   Time:  4 1/2 - 8 hours                Calories: 162 per serving


Ingredients:
  • 1 28 oz can Crushed Tomatoes 
  • 1 cup Fresh tomato, chopped
  • 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Oregano
  • 2 teaspoons Thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
  •  1 tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 1 medium Onion, chopped
  •  6 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • 1 8 oz package Baby Portabella Mushrroms, rinsed and roughly chopped
  • 1 medium Eggplants, peeled and diced
  • 2 Carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1 15 oz. can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups Water

Steps:

1.) Combine crushed tomatoes, fresh tomato, balsamic vinegar, and spices in crock pot and turn on low.


2.) Heat olive oil in small skillet and saute onion and garlic in pan until fragrant.  Add to slow cooker.


3.) Add mushrooms, eggplant, carrots and chickpeas to tomato mixture.


4.) Top with water and stir to evenly mixed. Continue cooking on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4.

Comments