Polish Sausage and Sauerkraut



For week 3, I decided to go in a slightly different direction than the Tex-Mex or Chilies I generally make and do something Eastern European influenced.  I came upon this recipe Fat Tuesday of this year.  My boyfriend mentioned that he missed eating Pączki's on Fat Tuesday.  Living in Michigan and Illinois, I knew quite a few people who held this tradition.  I thought that it had to exist in El Paso too, if you searched for it hard enough.  After a morning of phone calls, I was unable to locate a bakery that made them.  Since it was too late for me to probably make them, and make them properly (I am a horrible baker), I decided to try to make it up to him by making a polish influenced dinner. He insisted on potato pancakes, and I found this recipe that seemed like potato pancakes would be a good accompaniment for.  I list the potatoes as an optional ingredient in case you want to make a mashed potato or pancake to go with the sausage and sauerkraut. But to create a complete meal in the slow cooker, I would add the potatoes.

As far health goes, I was interested to learn that Sauerkraut actually has a large amount of Vitamin C.  Pre-advanced food importing methods, people in Eastern Europe relied on this food because it could keep so well and would be available as a nutrient resource in the harsh winter months.  Also historically, sailors were also known to eat Sauerkraut to keep away scurvy.  Another interesting health factor of this dish, is that more than half the calories are in the meat.  So lower calorie meats and options can help you keep the calories down on this meal.


Servings:  8-10                       Time: 4 1/2 - 8 hours                 Calories: 421 per serving

Ingredients:
  • 32 oz jar Sauerkraut, drained
  • 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 2 cups Chicken Broth
  • 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
  • 1 tablespoon Horseradish 
  • 1 tablespoon Paprika
  • 1 tablespoon Caraway Seed
  • 2 14 oz packages Polish or Smoked Sausage
  • 2 Carrots, diced
  • 1 small Onion, diced
  • 3 slices Bacon, cooked and diced
  • 3-4 Potatoes, diced (optional, not shown)

Steps:

1.) Turn crock pot on Low.  Add drained sauerkraut, vinegar, chicken broth, mustard, horseradish, paprika, and caraway seed.
Drained Sauerkraut
 2.)  While sauerkraut is marinating in the crock pot, start cooking the bacon.  I like to cook mine on a sheet pan, 400 degrees in the oven, for 10 to 12 minutes.

Mmm Bacon
3.) Slice polish sausage, carrots, and onion and add to the slow cooker. Dice bacon and add it once it has finished cooking and cools for a bit.  Cover and continue cooking the crock pot on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.



Comments

  1. OK, you're officially killing me with this. I know what Lisa is going to be doing next with our crock pot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooooooooo Pączki you're making me cry!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lisa just said she will make pączki for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I have not had any since I was a kid!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I am happy to see your excitement! Maybe Lisa can share the recipe with me so I can prepare for this upcoming Fat Tuesday : )

      Delete

Post a Comment