Cold Asian Noodles with Pork

End of Summer, beginning of Fall is always a hectic time of year.  And it also tends to be very warm.  One day will feel nice and cool and the next is unbearably hot. I found this recipe in the June 2012 issue of Food Network Magazine, but  I think it makes a great recipe for those hot late summer days you don't feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen.  I made a few changes from the original recipe (Click Here), however my boyfriend and I enjoyed this version so much, I would suggest trying mine first ; )

One of the biggest changes I made was in the type of noodle I used.  The original recipe calls for rice Vermicelli noodles, a very thin noodle used in many Asian cuisines. The Vermicelli name is actually borrowed from the Italian counterpart, a very thin spaghetti type noodle and I found it worked just as well.  Also I figure I'm more likely to use this pasta in another recipe than the rice noodles.

Overall I think this is one of the better recipes I've ever made, and would really suggest giving it a shot. If you do, I would love to hear the feedback or how it worked for you!


Servings: 4                      Time: 20 minutes                         Calories: 340 per serving

Ingredients:
  • 2 Carrots, sliced into thin strips
  • 1 bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
  • 1 jalepeno, sliced and seeded
  • 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1 Garlic Clove, minced
  • 2 tablespoons and1 teaspoon Vegetable Oil, divided
  • 1 cup and 1 tablespoon Cilantro, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon Soy Suace
  • 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
  • 1/3 cup Rice Vinegar
  • 4 oz  Vermicelli Noodles
  • 1 cup Broccoli Florets 
  • 2 tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
  • 1 tablespoon of Hoisin Sauce
  • pinch of Salt and Pepper
  • 2 cups Romaine Lettuce, sliced
  • 1 1/2 lbs Boneless Pork Chops
1.) Combine carrots, bell pepper, and jalepeno in a bowl.


2.) Using 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil, saute garlic and red pepper in a sauce pan until fragrant.
3.) Add 1 tablespoon of cilantro, vinegar,  lime juice, and soy sauce to sauce pan. Heat over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.  Pour over vegetables and set aside.


4.) Boil a pot of water for noodles.  Once boiling, add noodles and turn off heat.  After 4 minutes add broccoli and let stand for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.


5.) Heat remaining vegetable oil in medium sized skillet.  Add Pork and brush on hoisin sauce.  Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until pork is cooked through. Remove pork from pan and let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice.

6.) Divide the broccoli noodles and romaine lettuce among 4 bowls.  Top with pickled veggies and pork. Attempt to eat with chopsticks :)





Comments