Maple-Mustard Glazed Pork and Brussel Sprouts


As a kid I always hated brussel sprouts and I'm still not crazy about them. Regardless if they are a favorite or not,  I think it's important to eat a variety of vegetables in order to get a variety of nutrients.  Brussel sprouts contain a chemical called sulphopane, which some studies suggest give the vegetable cancer fighting properties.  Brussel sprouts also offer a good amount of vitamin C, in case you accidentally skip the OJ one morning.  I figure I need to start preparing them more often as I hope to put my kids through the sometimes torturous dinners I experienced when faced with these miniature cabbages. Ah,  the circle of life. Actally, the mustard maple sauce that coats the brussel sprouts makes them much easier to eat. They start to taste closer to a variation of sauerkraut, but the maple syrup keeps them from being too bitter.

NOTE:  I added way too much broth, and my sauce ended up being too watery, which you can see in the pictures.  I adjusted the recipe below to account for a thicker sauce.



Servings:    5-6                     Time:    3 1/2 to 8 hours          
Ingredients:
  • 3-4 carrots, sliced and halved
  • 10-12 brussel sprouts, halved 
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
  • 1 1/2 lb Pork Loin Roast
  • 1 cup Chicken Broth
  • 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
  • 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
  • 1 teaspoon Ground Mustard
  • 2-3 Fresh Thyme Springs
Steps:

1.) Layer bottom of the crock pot with carrots and brussel sprouts.


2.) Rub salt and pepper on pork roast and place on top of the veggies.

3.) Mix together remaining ingredients and pour over roast. Turn slow cooker on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4,  occasionally braising the roast with the sauce.

If the sauce seems sort of thick, that's ok because it will thin as it cooks down.

4.) To serve, remove the roast and let rest for a few minutes.  Then slice meat into 1/2 inch thick pieces.  Add a serving of veggies and drizzle sauce over both.

My sauce ended up being far too thin, but you get the idea : )

Comments